Something colorful caught our eye on Reddit last week: an amazing, homemade, altmetric-like origami piece.
We got in touch with creator Ariel Williams to find out more about how she creates her pieces and give us a quick step by step guide. So, in theory, all you need to do is follow the simple steps below and you too can be the proud owner of your very own construction. There’s also an online tutorial here. Good luck!
1. Begin with your materials. Each pile is made out of 12 pieces.
2. Fold all your pieces. Each piece requires about 10 folds each.
3. Weave / interlock all your pieces together to make your first cube.
4. Begin your next cube interwoven with the previous one; this takes a lot of patience.
5. Continue until satisfied. To make a wreath, at least 12 cubes (144 pieces of paper) are required.
6. More colours can be added as desired, creating a larger wreath.
7. Or you can stick with 12 and create a wreath that looks strikingly like the Altmetric logo.
Working at a quick pace, one wreath takes approximately 7-8 hours to complete. Easy!
Alternatively… you can get yourself a ready-made version online here.
If you decide to have a go yourself, please do share the results with us by email or on Twitter (we might even attempt it in the Altmetric office). And, of course, thanks very much to Ariel for sharing your impressive origami skills with us.