As you may know, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) legislation will be in force starting on 25 May 2018. At Altmetric, we take the privacy of our users very seriously, and are working hard so we’re fully compliant with the new law when it comes into effect.
One of the most important areas that we’ll cover in this new policy is a detailed breakdown, by product / service, of the different types of personal information collected by Altmetric, which broadly falls into three categories:
- Information belonging to users of the Altmetric website and products (including Altmetric Explorer, Altmetric Badges, Altmetric API, and Altmetric Bookmarklet)
- Information belonging to authors of research outputs tracked by Altmetric (e.g., journal articles, books, book chapters, datasets, and other content)
- Information belonging to creators or authors of mentions, for research outputs tracked by Altmetric (e.g., social media, news, policy, blog, and patent mentions)
- How we process personal information
- Which third-party sub-processors we use
- How we keep personal information secure
- How long we will keep personal information belonging to users
If you’re an existing Altmetric customer and need our contract with you updated to meet the new requirements of the GDPR, please contact us at email@example.com. We’ll provide you with a data processing addendum to replace the existing data protection provisions in our standard customer contracts when the GDPR comes into effect.
If you have any general questions, please feel free to email us and we’ll be happy to help.