We’re excited to announce that today marks the release a new free-to-download eBook resource, co-written by Scholastica and Altmetric:
As scholarly workflows and academic communication patterns evolve to meet the needs of today’s digital researcher, a huge shift in the way we think about and identify indicators of broader impacts is taking place.
The rise of the Open Access movement and advances in digital publishing workflows are creating more opportunities than ever for scholarship to have an impact both within and beyond academia. As research moves online and references to scholarship diverge from the confines of bibliometric citations, many academics and journal publishers have begun to seek new impact indicators to better capture these changing behaviours. Altmetrics have emerged as an alternative indicator that can offer scholars and journal editors a more holistic picture of the reach and utility of their publications.
This eBook provides an overview of the ongoing changes in the impacts and metrics landscape, and offers a handy guide for any journal editor or researcher interested to learn more about the latest developments in the area – including what these new metrics are, and how they can be used in practice.
In this ebook you’ll find:
- The most common bibliometrics in use today and their strengths and limitations
- What altmetrics are: applications and misconceptions
- How journals and publishers of all sizes can benefit from tracking altmetrics
- How scholars can use altmetrics to find new ways to express the reach of their work
- Projections for the future of research impact indicators