Join our team
Director of Product
Altmetric is a data science company working to help research institutions, government agencies, funders, publishers and corporate organizations more easily track and understand the online reach and influence of their publications. Our alternative metrics and the underlying data, enable researchers and those that support them to see where their work is having a public impact via news and social media, if it’s being used to inform policy, or referenced in patent applications.
As our Director of Product, you’ll play a vital part in shaping the future of Altmetric. We’re looking for someone to craft and communicate the product vision and roadmap for the company, bridge the Engineering and Commercial streams of our business, and lead our Product Management team.
Using your leadership skills, critical thinking, and creativity, you will work with all of our teams to ensure that our products, backend systems, and services meet our users’ needs and are of the highest quality. Defining and measuring desired product outcomes will be a key part of this role, and being able to interact with multiple stakeholders, communicate clearly and prioritise effectively is essential.
You will also manage the day-to-day priorities of an Agile software engineering team that works to bring our product vision to life, focusing on Altmetric’s core products, including the Altmetric Explorer, Altmetric Badges, and Altmetric APIs.
Reporting to Altmetric’s CEO, you’ll combine a clear understanding of market needs with a passion for what you do, and come armed with product management expertise to help make our products and services a success.
- Work with the executive team to help define core business strategy and objectives.
- Define the product vision, strategy, and measures of success for Altmetric.
- Design a multi-year product roadmap, balancing short and long-term goals.
- Anticipate and help shape how users of our data will communicate, consume and share research in the future.
- Manage all aspects of the products, including customer feedback, requirements, and oversight of second-line support issues
- Work closely with the marketing and sales teams to plan and carry out product launches, as well as providing input to overarching company messaging and brand development – including providing product marketing with insights on key differentiators, use cases and benefits.
- Lead the user research program and drive the development of a longer-term UX and data strategy for our products.
- Manage and lead the Product team.
Experience we’re looking for:
- Experience in software product management or product ownership role, ideally for developing data products or software services.
- Proven track record conceptualizing products, taking them to market, and developing a product roadmap.
- Line management experience, ideally of Product Managers and/or Product Designers.
- Experience with research, scholarly publishing, and alternative metrics (altmetrics) is highly desirable
- Bachelors/Masters degree required, or equivalent experience
What can we offer you?
- 25 days annual leave
- Conference & training budget (including international travel)
- Flexible working
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Partially-subsidized gym membership
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Eye care contributions
- Flu vaccination vouchers
We’re based in Farringdon. As a portfolio company of Digital Science & Research Solutions Ltd, we share our office with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic.
If this role interests you, please apply here. The closing date for applications is 15 March 2020.