Join our team
London, United Kingdom
About the role
Altmetric is looking for a new Marketing Director! We’re a fun, innovative company, based in London but with employees around the world. We take a flexible, open approach to business, and are keen to add someone great to our happy team.
Our mission is to track the online attention surrounding scholarly outputs (including books, journal articles, grey literature and more) to help authors, publishers, research funders and institutions get a better understanding of the impact of their work.
As Marketing Director, you’ll be responsible for leading all of Altmetric’s marketing and communication activity. This will include working closely with our Executive Management team to determine priorities, which you will then need to translate to innovative marketing programs and campaigns that help tell the stories of our data. Building on our existing marketing activities and established brand, you’ll be tasked with growing brand awareness amongst key audiences, delivering qualified leads to our global sales team, and ensuring that we retain our market-leading position.
Doing so will require a proactive, organized and creative approach. We’re looking for someone who has experience across a broad spectrum of marketing; from online content and campaigns to in-person events. Line management experience would be useful, as you’ll manage other team members, but isn’t necessarily required if you’ve excelled in your current role and are ready to take that next step up. Excellent communication skills and a talent for juggling multiple projects at once are essential.
- Develop marketing strategy and plans for Altmetric, in line with business goals to support revenue targets and other KPIs
- Line management of Marketing Manager
- Oversee (and take on tasks where necessary) execution of marketing plans within agreed budget and timelines
- Manage priorities to ensure all target markets are supported – plan, agree and deliver sales enablement materials and lead generation campaigns
- Determine the content calendar and identify opportunities for external promotion
- Work closely with the Altmetric management team to align messaging and tactics
- Create (or manage creation of) content that speaks to specific user needs and supports each stage of the purchasing process
- Work with central Digital Science marketing teams and Product Sales Specialists on comms strategy, lead generation campaigns, conferences, and thought-leadership activities
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness of marketing programs, proposing changes where appropriate
- Determine approach and run in-person/online events to develop market interest
- Ensure that we achieve clear differentiation and value proposition
- Follow industry trends and competitor activity, leading response as needed
- Adept at building relationships with stakeholders, understanding customer needs and tailoring approach accordingly
- Excellent communication skills to engage with customers, the wider scholarly community, and the team
- Hands-on marketing experience and a willingness to get involved in execution
- Strong copywriting ability – able to easily transform complex ideas into engaging blog posts, sales collateral and social campaigns
- Ability to manage multiple work streams at the same time
- A high level of productivity and excellent prioritisation skills
- Willingness to make decisions, keep momentum amongst team members, and work with high level of flexibility
- Ideally, good understanding of SEO and website optimization
- Significant marketing experience within the publishing or scholarly space
- Experience in growing brands and building communities around a product
- Some event management experience
- Able to manage budgets effectively
- Ideally some experience of managing teams
What we can offer you:
- A start-up environment that values innovation, initiative, and energy
- Competitive, market-rate salary based on experience
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous amount of annual paid leave
How to apply
If this role interests you, please apply by sending a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.