Join our team
Site Reliability Engineer
London, United Kingdom
As part of our development team, you’ll develop our infrastructure that processes hundreds of thousands of mentions and serves over 15 million API requests every single day.
Altmetric analyses the online activity around scholarly content to measure the broader impact of science and research. We deliver and support products such as the Altmetric Explorer and the Altmetric badges. Our customers include institutions across Europe, North America and Australia and scholarly publishers such as Springer Nature, Wiley, Taylor & Francis and MIT Press.
You will be part of a team responsible for the stability and performance of our platform. Using DevOps practices, you will improve how we continuously deliver our products ensuring the security, integrity and stability of our systems.
Examples of our recent infrastructure projects include:
- Moving our servers from one data centre to two new, geographically separated data centres without downtime;
- Development of a monitoring solution using Sensu and InfluxDB;
- Designing, building and running a new platform to handle a large volume of real-time news mentions from LexisNexis including high availability, backups and security;
- Upgrading our database servers to use SSDs in a RAID 10 configuration to improve application performance.
You’ll need production experience with:
- Administering Linux-based systems (particularly Debian-based operating systems such as Ubuntu);
- Running web applications (such as PHP, Ruby on Rails or Django applications);
- Configuration management such as Chef, Puppet, CFEngine or Ansible (we use Chef but we can teach you this as a configuration management mindset is more important than specific tooling).
Ultimately, we’re looking for people who are keen to learn and flexible in their approach.
Our development team is divided into multidisciplinary product teams, each empowered to deploy to our infrastructure multiple times a day. We hold weekly “gatherings” across all product teams to keep everyone informed and to discuss any bigger issues that affect multiple teams. We rotate people to encourage collaboration and increase our shared understanding of all parts of Altmetric.
Teams typically work in two week iterations, seeking feedback early and often so that we can respond to change quickly. At the end of every iteration, we hold reviews and retrospectives so that we can share completed work and discuss changes to our way of working.
In order to create time for personal development, we hold “hack afternoons” every two weeks for team members to explore new topics and technologies and work with people outside their usual product team.
All members of the team are provided with a MacBook Pro (we are happy to discuss your requirements before you join) and have an annual training & conference budget including international travel. We are users of open source software and we support this in any way we can. We also offer company benefits such as a personal pension plan, life assurance cover, childcare vouchers, private medical insurance and a travel or bike loan.
We’re based in Kings Cross, close to the Guardian’s office in Kings Place & Google’s new London headquarters. We share our office with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic.
If this role interests you, please apply here.